Camper trailers and rego

Hi Guys,

After 12 18 months of dreaming we finally bought a camper trailer Model CTHA01 from mars campers ( A & S Powersellers in melbourne)
from Ebay, For only $4500.
As we are in debt already this was all we could really go for.

Does anyone know of them and their quality?
We are not going on the Tanami etc..
Also how much is rego?, they offer to do rego at $200.

Cheers and out..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Friday, Nov 04, 2011 at 09:01

Friday, Nov 04, 2011 at 09:01
Campfire,

As you have already purchased the camper it's a bit late asking for advice, so will take it that you are happy with your purchase,enjoy your travels.

In relation to rego, not knowing what State you're in, bit hard to comment, here in Tassie the first year would include stamp duty of about $158, plus a years rego, trailers are about $60.

Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 469183

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Nov 04, 2011 at 09:01

Friday, Nov 04, 2011 at 09:01
Congratulations on joining the C/t set. While I know nothing of your model there are
a couple of things I would check..firstly..wheel bearings. Take the cap off the end of the axle & check the bearings are full of grease..check the tension of the large nut
..hub should have slight resistance when turned . Check tension on all suspension
bolts..spring hangers, shackles & U bolts. Put shadecloth between tent & ground,
& buy a silver tarp of sufficient size to cover the whole thing plus a metre or more
all round..attach with ocos. Load up & enjoy. A good habit is to put hand on hub
regularly when travelling..warm is ok..hot isnt.....cheers.......oldbaz.
My rego in NSW is around $150.
AnswerID: 469184

Follow Up By: blown4by - Saturday, Nov 05, 2011 at 12:37

Saturday, Nov 05, 2011 at 12:37
Sorry to differ but the amount of grease in the bearing cap is no indication of how much grease is in the bearings. You cannot tell by 'looking at' the outer bearing either because you cannot see 'inside' the bearing cup & cone space where the rollers are and that is where the grease is needed. All the grease in the brearing cup & void space in the hub between the bearings serves no useful purpose other than to make you 'feel good' save for a smear over themetal surfaces to prevent corrosion. Removal of the bearing cap reveals nothing re the amount of grease in the inner bearing because you cannot see it. The only way to check the grease is to pull the bearings out and if you do that you might as well wash them all in petrol, blow them dry, inspect all wearing surfaces, re-pack the bearings (by pushing the grease from the palm of your hand from the closed cage side until it comes out the open cage side between all of the rollers) and re-assemble the hub/bearings using a new seal and split pin. I also disagree with the nut being done up to the extent that their is slight resistance when the wheel is turned because that is too tight. You do the nut up until there is slight resistance, then back it of off until there is slight free play in the bearings when 'rocking' the wheel by holding it at 1 o'clock and 7 o'clock and then carrefully take the nut up until there is no free play but NOT so far that there is resistance to turn the wheel. If the split pin will not line up with the nut castellations and the hole in the axle then back the nut off until the split pin will fit rather than tighten the nut until it lines up. It is better to have a touch of free play in the bearings than to pre-load them. I have seen too many bearings overheat, the grease all runs out, fills up the brakes with grease (if braked) and occasionally some catch fire in my 44 years in the trade to recommend any other way. The front wheel bearings in one of my cars are original and have done over 500,000km. Fully agree with you hand checking temperature feel at every stop.
FollowupID: 743636

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Saturday, Nov 05, 2011 at 13:27

Saturday, Nov 05, 2011 at 13:27
I dont see anywhere in my post that I referred to the amount of grease in the bearing cap or void..I said "check the bearings are full of grease". Obviousy, this requires the
removal of the bearings & inspection of same. As the trailer ,& presumably the hubs, are new, I see no obvious reason to wash them & repack, or fit new seals. I have no
argument with your policy on the nut tension, but will continue to tighten until there
is a slight resistance to rotation. Perhaps our ideas of "slight resistance" may be
different. I usually find ,after several hundred K's ,that the tension needs another
notch on the pin, as bearings bed in, particul;arly if they are replacements. I've yet
to have a failure following this procedure. As we both agree, a hand on hub will tell
the tale...cheers......oldbaz.
FollowupID: 743645

Follow Up By: the campfire guru - Sunday, Nov 13, 2011 at 09:11

Sunday, Nov 13, 2011 at 09:11
Thanks oldbaz
FollowupID: 744321

Reply By: NTVRX - Friday, Nov 04, 2011 at 09:03

Friday, Nov 04, 2011 at 09:03
Contact Vic Roads. There are numbers and FAQ on their web site. I think trailer Rego is about $38.00. Hope this helps. Monty
AnswerID: 469185

Follow Up By: ozjohn0 - Friday, Nov 04, 2011 at 11:40

Friday, Nov 04, 2011 at 11:40
As posted above, It's less than $40 a year for trailers, vans etc.
But if it's unregistered and requires plates, then it'll cost more.
Ozjohn.
FollowupID: 743528

Follow Up By: disco driver - Friday, Nov 04, 2011 at 12:43

Friday, Nov 04, 2011 at 12:43
Depending on which state you are in, there's also stamp duty that has to be included in the first registration in your name.
In WA its something like $10 plus $3 or $4 for each $100 of the value of the unit so the original quote ($200) from the seller sounds about right if stamp duty applies in your state.

Disco.
FollowupID: 743534

Follow Up By: the campfire guru - Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 08:51

Sunday, Nov 06, 2011 at 08:51
Thanks for the advice folks.
Yep vic roads reckon about $60 for rego. They are asking 200 to do it for us!!

Will check all suggested parts. Im not too mechanically minded that way. But a very good idea.
We also drive a disco, 1993 200tdi. been to kimberleys and back to melbourne then been to darwin and back via qld and shes still goin strong.
FollowupID: 743713

Reply By: Bill BD - Friday, Nov 04, 2011 at 10:12

Friday, Nov 04, 2011 at 10:12
Save yourself some bother and get them to rego it. At least it will have gone through some roadworthy test before you take delivery. As others have said, you have it now so don't worry about its pros and cons..... just enjoy. Baz' suggestions about what to check on delivery are good. I don't bother with a covering tarp though..... never needed it but my camper is heavy canvas.
AnswerID: 469191

Reply By: SDG - Friday, Nov 04, 2011 at 20:37

Friday, Nov 04, 2011 at 20:37
I'm in NSW. Cost me about $150.00 a year. Price is dependant on weight of the trailer. I'm a few kilos over the cheaper weight range. Because of this, I also need a pink slip each year. (no brakes before that is mentioned)
AnswerID: 469230

Reply By: Gregory001 - Friday, Nov 11, 2011 at 21:30

Friday, Nov 11, 2011 at 21:30
I have just received my hardflloor camper off the same people,(A & S Powersellers)
I paid 5800 plus delivery and insurance,a total of $7100

When I went to pick it up,it seemed OK,
I towed it home around 40kms,it seemed a bit heavy and when I got home I realized one of the brakes were stuck on and it had cooked one side.

I pulled that side apart and eventually found the brakes had been assembled incorrectly.

This got me suspicious so I went right over the trailer,
I have spent 2-3 days on this camper just fixing items that weren't up to scratch,

When you get your camper,check some basic things before you drive it on the road.

I will give you a list of what I did and you can decide what you deem important enough.Chinese are experts at copying things and the bolts even have 8.8 stamped on them,but strip when you try and do them up so obviously fake.

1:Replace the wheel studs and nuts,I sheared off two and stripped one just by removing the wheels once,they are like butter.

2:Replace the spring hanger bolts with high tensile ones with grease nipples as the ones they come with are Chinese soft steel

3:Replace the center bolt in the springs as the ones in there was Chinese soft steel.

4:Replace the U shackles that hold the axel on as they were to thin and Chinese soft steel.

5:Replaced the wheel bearings as when I went to grease them,they were already showing signs of wear at 40kms.Also replace the split pin.

6:Replace the bolts holding the Hitch as the original ones are soft steel also

7:Get rid of the number plate bracket as it hangs down far to low,

8: Brace the spare tyre bracket as it will crack as soon as you hit some corrugations.

9:Re-bolt the water pump as it was just hanging with a tack weld.

10:Replaced the jockey wheel as it nearly killed me when it slipped out of the holes

I still cant get the electric brakes to work,it looks like I will have to upgrade the magnets.

Other than that the trailer should do everything I ask of it,
I weighed it on the weighbridge today for registration and it weighed 920KG with only a few things in it so basically empty,ATM of mine is 1500kgs.

AnswerID: 469795

Follow Up By: the campfire guru - Sunday, Nov 13, 2011 at 09:10

Sunday, Nov 13, 2011 at 09:10
Hi Greg,

Thanks for your letter.
Wow, yeah Now I know why their so "cheap".
I`ve noticed some poor quality in the detailed work as in carpets, rivets, etc..
I have no mechanical knowledge really , but I will do what I can.

They are very dodgy.
Relating to registration VIC roads said If it is under 750kg ATM then it wont need to be inspected.
Chinese man told us it was. ITS actual ATM is 1500 so it does have to be inspected.
We told him and he said " No, we just tell them its 750 and they pass it!"
He rang me to ask when I can pick it up, I replied ' today' he said no. I sad tommorrow he said No I said Friday morning he said no not until 2pm.

You get no product advice or knowledge when you ask them questions their reply is "Its on the comuter"
You can not get more than a 3 word reply.

The price is all we can afford so we are prepared for what we get.
But I would have never thought they would use such cheap bleep bolts as you have suggested.

Sad thing is we have nowhere to set it up and season the canvas.
Oh ,, how I tell if brakes are fitted incorrectly?

We hope you get to enjoy your trailer.

cheers.

FollowupID: 744320

Follow Up By: Gregory001 - Sunday, Nov 13, 2011 at 20:25

Sunday, Nov 13, 2011 at 20:25
I had the same problem with them and mine was delivered to Brisbane,I paid 300 insurance as well and I am 100% positive they pocketed that money.
I tried for weeks to get a tax invoice and I finally sent them this letter,

"Hi,
Are you going to send me my tax invoice for my payment amount or do I have to take it further?
I have rang and spoken to Australian Taxation Office and they said that you have a limited time to send me my tax invoice for the correct amount.
They also said I can still claim the full amount without the invoice as long as I provide a detailed report of the circumstances as to why I don't have the invoice.All our emails, correspondence,bank transfer are evidence of this.
I assume the reason you wont send me the tax invoice is because you are not declaring this income to the ATO.
I know you don't want your "name" highlighted at the Taxation office for an audit for the near future so I suggest you send me the tax invoice required immediately.
I hope we don't have to cover this topic again,
Regards"

Needless to say I got my tax invoice two days later.
If you look at their negative feedback you will see mine from last week.

I am happy to say that the actual tent seems to be very good quality,I wet mine down for half an hour and water just beaded off so that good enough for me.

To check the brakes,hook it up to the vehicle and jack up one wheel and spin the wheel by hand ,it should turn easy,if you have electric brakes hooked up it should stop when you apply the brake. Repeat for the other side to see if they are running free.

They are great value for the money,just make sure it is safe.

FollowupID: 744393

Sponsored Links